It is so easy to say I am really "just a mom." When I think of all I do in the course of a day, sometimes it amounts to many tedious tasks that don't really mean a lot to the world. Meals. Clean-up. Laundry. Driving. Meals. More clean-up. More meals. More clean-up. Fold laundry (or think about it at least).
But then there are the moments. The gracious moments that I believe God gives because He truly does care about us moms.
- The way they say "Ma-ma" and run to show me anything and everything that their little hands pick up.
- The way that only mommy can kiss their hurts or hug their boo-boos just right to make it better sometimes.
- The way their silliness and joy in life just makes me smile and laugh.
- One who tells me that his highlight of the day was just "being with you, mommy."
- One who tells me "I love you a lot, Mommy, but I love Jesus the most," and melts my heart.
- And one whose huge sobs in the night slowly subside as he grips my shirt and I rock him and pray.
It's these moments that remind me of the blessing of motherhood. There are so many moments. Some that seem they'll never end (like tantrums that threaten to damage your hearing). Some that I wish would never end (like the way they still want to cuddle and hold my hand). All of these moments point me to my God. His love for me. His saving grace.
On this Mother's Day, I could hope for breakfast in bed, or a really well thought out handmade card or gift, but ultimately I already have the best gift of all. God has entrusted me with these little beings, with their very lives. They are His. But I have the high calling to teach them, to nurture them, to lead them to Him, day in and day out. I am not good at it in my own strength. But by His strength and grace He has equipped me to be their one and only mommy.
"[May I] walk in a way worthy of the calling with which [I've] been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with [my children] in love." ~Ephesians 4:2
Lord grant us the perseverence to run this race, to give our all to tasks we are not good at and never thought we would be doing,and ultimately to lay our lives down at Your Feet, for Your Glory. It is a blessing to see our God working this mighty work in you.
ReplyDeleteI love being at home with them so we can do what Deut. 6:7 says- "Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." I love how God is there with us day in and day out and gives us the smallest ways to talk about Him and teach our kiddos His commandments. You are a great mom!
ReplyDeleteThank you for encouraging me through your post to have an eternal perspective. It's been a "just a mom" kind of day around here.
ReplyDelete