Friday, May 27, 2011

Like a bandaid

Letting go of these little ones... I was thinking today, it is a bit like a bandaid being pulled off ever so slowly. You know it has to happen, and it's definitely for the best, but it's hard in the moment. The constant letting go and realizing all over again that we really have no control of or hold on our children.

They are a gift, given to us for a time. But they belong to God. The bandaid will come off completely one day, and though it may be a bit painful, there are so many wounds that will be healed underneath, and that can be celebrated. For as they grow, I grow. As I learn to let go, He is teaching me what it means to bind to Him and Him alone. He is my source of strength...hope...joy...everything.
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles... ~Isaiah 40:31

I was reminded of this sweet little boy that I once held as a baby, when his feet didn't even touch the ground. I held him while he slept, so sweet & sound. Such a gift.


Almost 5 years later, though he doesn't sleep much during the day anymore, recently I had a moment of holding him like that again. Yet I noticed he's starting to grow out of my lap...and soon I'm sure I won't be able to hold him like this anymore. Letting go.



And this week, as he "graduated" from AWANA Cubbies & preschool, I found my eyes surprisingly welled with tears. More moments of letting go. Releasing him to go into the world and decide what he believes and then live that out. We pray he chooses the way of the wise. We pray he walks in the ways of the Lord. But we cannot choose for him. We cannot cling. We cannot control. He has to fly. I am thankful today that his wings grow relatively slowly ;) These days do seem long sometimes, but the years truly are short.




We love you, Jackson. We are so proud of you!

3 comments:

  1. So you have a little graduate! There's a Letter to the Mom of the Graduate on my blog. I'm one too this year...but mine's now a big one. Your three boys are precious. Have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job, jackson (and parents!)!

    ReplyDelete