Lord,
Boys are hard. Kids are hard. Sometimes I just wish you had added a little addendum to the bible called "How to parent." Sometimes I think I'm not cut out for this job. Did you really mean to entrust all these boys to my care? When the 4 yr. old lets loose and completely loses control in an angry rage, or the 2 yr. old jumps off the top of the couch again and lands with a big thud onto the floor, and then I discover the 11 mo. old chewing on a pencil... Are you sure you picked the right woman for this?
But this is the blessing you have given me. I praise you because you made me. I praise you because you made them. This is the thing you have and are preparing me for. One of the highest callings, people say. You are teaching me so much about love, grace, patience, peace. These are the things I pray for my boys.
I pray first of all that they would love you, Lord. May they be brought into this mystery of faith. This TRUTH that is the only thing that stands, when a world around them seems to ebb & flow with tragedy & joy constantly. May they have a desire for your Word. May they also desire to be part of something bigger than themselves. In a world that often looks to how to advance oneself or please oneself as the utmost important thing, may these boys stoop low and humble themselves before a powerful God. May they serve those who are in need, may they love those who to some seem unlovely. May they respect & be thankful for all of your creation.
You have made them boys, with all the hormones and all the dirt that goes into that. Protect them, God. I have learned already and I'm sure I will continue to learn that I just cannot do that on my own. Despite my best efforts with car seats and helmets and hand sanitizer, you are their shield. You protect them. Help me to trust in that.
Protect their little hearts and spirits also, God. May they be shielded from the harshness of this world until they are ready to hear of it. May they walk firm in your truth as their foundation no matter what choices they must make, or circumstance they may find themselves in. May your Spirit guide them. Keep them pure, Lord. Again, I cannot do that. You are their purity, and you know already the choices they will make. I pray they will be convicted and turn quickly to you at every mistake. Redeem them. Free them from chains that bind.
Now as I hear their little feet approaching, I just ask for a fresh filling of your Spirit in me, Lord. As I face this day, may I be filled with your love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. May it overflow on these precious little beings that you have entrusted to my care. They are yours, Lord. Thank you for helping me refocus on that this day. Amen.
On my knees as well, especially these past few days. Feeling woefully inadequate and stumbling more than standing. The enemy is swirling the lies in the all the empty spaces, but my heart still knows the Truth. When I come to the end of myself He faithfully fills and I am ready. Lifting you up in prayer in the midst of this parenting pandemonium!
ReplyDeleteThank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! ~Jessica
ReplyDeleteThanks....Good to see God deliver this at a moment I needed it....I added your blog to my reader this weekend. (Note well after sept 17...but here are your words here for me today).
ReplyDeleteThank you