Sunday, August 1, 2010

Just a minute

So I feel like maybe all my life I've seemed "busy." Hard to imagine that I was even close to that when I was in my single days, but somehow I remember even being stressed at times then because there weren't enough minutes in the day. Always in a hurry, trying to get everything done, feeling weary because I couldn't keep up. I guess we all get this way. It's our way of life. Dare I say, it's the "American way." But I've thought about it quite a bit lately...and I made a list.

If I had "enough" time in my days, I would:
  • be an expert coupon clipper & user (and live off $40/month groceries for a family of 5!)
  • sew all my kids clothes (ok, maybe not, but i would definitely sew more & get better at it)
  • send all birthday presents/cards on time
  • answer every email right the very second after I recieved it and never wonder, "did i ever email that person back?"
  • read lots of books...all the way through to the end!
  • cook fresh food every night and never grab for whatever's in the freezer at 5pm
  • email out tons of pictures the day after we get back from a vacation or special outing, even with captions
  • never say "just a minute" or "hurry up" to my kids
  • have laundry put away before it's time to fill the basket again
  • never say something to someone that i forget to follow up on
  • sit with my husband every night when he gets home and look into his eyes as he tells me every detail of his day
  • get a nap every day...and still get my house picked up

These are the things I would do. Wouldn't it be wonderful?!

I know it seems I could wallow in how I don't do this and I don't remember that. But for one thing that would be a really downer blog post! And for another, there is NO condemnation when we are in Christ (Rom 8:1). The thing I've been thinking of is that God in His divine wisdom decided that only 24 hours would belong in each day. Only 1440 minutes. HE decided that. Ordained it. So then we can rest in the fact that it IS enough! And if we allow Him, he will direct each and every one.

I want to be faithful to each minute. I am human. I am fallible. I am not always as thoughtful as I want to be. But I believe that probably happens more often when I am not fully yielding to the Lord's purposes for me that moment or that day. If HE tugs on my shirt in the form of a 2 year old and asks me to come sit on the floor with him then I should do it. If HE prompts my heart to think of that friend or family member, then I should contact them. If HE draws my spirit to spend quiet time with Him, then I need to do that. All the stuff that falls to the wayside because of that will be taken care of in its time. The key thing is that I am being led by God's spirit living in me--His living Spirit that dwells in every believer. That doesn't mean I'll always get it right, but He'll give me the Grace I need, to get up and try again. I pray that people will extend grace when I mess up too. But ultimately His grace is enough. It is sufficient. I am so thankful for that.

"I want to be faithful with my moments," as my dear friend always says.

Each minute counts.

2 comments:

  1. that was so good! God has not called us to do more than we have time for and when we are too busy we are prone to fear and worry which just makes us irritable moms. I read before, "Even if everything isn't accomplished that I think should be, it is so much better to go to bed at night being behind in what needs to be done than to go to bed angry and upset." You hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use all of that scrapbooking stuff that I bought with such great intention which is now gathering dust in the bottom of the closet.

    But you are right. He gives us enough time to complete the list He has for us this day. Praying I am faithful with my moments. ;)

    ReplyDelete