"Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry for help come to you. Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly." Psalm 102:1-2
So, I'm doing a study on the book of Ruth this summer. And I'm slowly also reading through the Psalms with my church. I jokingly said to some family members this weekend, "I'm not sure you know, but I love the Bible!" It's true. I'm such a nerd (i think they know)! But I think it's so cool how it's truly God's living word. I mean who knew that the Psalms and Ruth had anything to do with each other? But today I found a connection that God gave me for this point in time that relates to my life. So cool! Anyway, I won't go into too much detail, but basically in the study we were talking about Boaz providing for Ruth so that she could in turn provide for her mother-in-law, Naomi. Then the author described how Jesus is our supplier...of everything. She referenced the story of Jesus feeding the four thousand (Matthew 15:29-37) as concrete example:
"It may be something this concrete (like bread & fish), but many times it's a supply of patience, forgiveness, love, wisdom, or comfort that we desperately need from Him so we can pour it out on someone else..." (Kelly Minter).
Then I was reading Psalm 102 and it hit me. We are always asking for a supply of something. How often are we just desperate for filling...we need help to do something, to talk to somebody, to remember to do something (esp when your mommy brain cells are like mine and dwindling by the minute), to love someone, to get out of or through or just endure a difficult circumstance. We may not all ask God for help right off, but we are all desperate for help so often in this life, just like the psalmist I quoted above. We need help! It's a matter of who we look to to help us. And who we TRUST. Later in that psalm it says this:
"But you, O Lord, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations. You will arise and have compassion on Zion, for it is time to show favor to her; the appointed time has come." Ps. 102:12-13
This speaks to me and says, GOD is on his throne. Hallelujah!!! We don't have to do it ourselves. We can do all things by His strength (Phil 4:13). I know this seems obvious to many Christians, but do we really live our lives this way? Do I live my life this way? When I'm exhausted and can't seem to muster up strength to get through the evening hours of playing, feeding, bathing, dressing, reading, praying my kids to bed...do I look to my Supplier, or do I just "get through it" by my own strength (or try to)? When I need to really work on loving someone in my life better, and the situation seems difficult, do I look to Him to supply me with that love and have the hope to believe He will? I'm preaching to myself here really. I want to be that person. I want to live that way. May I, Lord. Fill me, Lord. Guide me, Lord. I believe you will do it. Even when I can't seem to hear you or see you working, you always are. Amen.
He is our Supplier. So frustrating when I have momentary amnesia and just "get through." He is so very gracious.
ReplyDelete