There is nothing I want more than for our family to stop believing these lies, and to continually walk in the light of the Truth. The only truth: God's word.
Our boys have recently gotten into (or slightly obsessed with) the DVD series "What's in the Bible" by Phil Vischer. It's amazing. The way he just digs deep into the truth of God's word, explaining it in terms that kids can understand, yet not watering it down one bit. Our oldest has been listening to the songs during his quiet time each day. I do not exxagerate that he knows them almost word for word now. Even our 2 yr. old has started dressing up like the character "Chuck Wagon" and belting out "Who do you trust, who do you listen to, how are you gonna live your life..." (in a real twangy southern accent).
Anyway, my point is that I've been tempted to curb this obsession somehow, just because I tend to have a problem with obsessions. Then I realized there is one obsession that is okay. Being obsessed with God!
Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." (Matthew 5:6)The only way to be satisfied in this hard life is to pursue righteousness, pursue our God, day in and day out for all of our days. Just like we pursue food when we are hungry and drink when we are thirsty!
I told myself at the beginning of this new year that I didn't want to live a defeated life anymore. I didn't want to give in to the thoughts that so often bring me down. I don't want that for my children or my husband either. We were made for more than that. We were made to stand in victory, with the Lord. Yes, the lies come, and the enemy is relentless in trying to get us to believe them. The only way I know how to combat that is by the truth.
"Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth." John 17:17I pray that as our boys grow, they will continue to hunger and thirst for righteousness. That they will seek God in those places where they feel defeated, where they are tempted to "throw tantrums" or seek fulfillment in some other way, even in places where they just don't understand something. That they will not look to the ways of this world for the answers they seek. I pray that I will learn to do that more faithfully, and that I will have grace for those around me who are learning also. May we live on the bread of God's word. And give thanks. He is good.
He is good. I LOVE hearing your heart and every time wish we could walk this life more closely together! You are a sister of my heart and very often speak the words that are already churning there!
ReplyDeleteI got our Christmas card returned from you, guess i have an old address :((
Love you, friend. -leah