Monday, August 29, 2011

Serving with Joy

I have been reading a few books this summer. I'm the type that sometimes has about 4-5 books "going" at one time. It drives me crazy, and yet I love it. I really enjoy reading, but alas this season of my life doesn't allow for a whole lot of quiet time to just sit with a latte and a good book. One day... :)

Anyway, one of the books I've been savoring is The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. Wow. It's so good! Every time I pick it up I feel like I'm renewed in my purpose as a mom, my God-designed, holy purpose to serve the Lord in serving my children.

"Therefore, I urge you, [sister], in view of God's mercy, to offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:2
This verse has been one God urged me to put to memory recently. The whole idea of a living sacrifice is so foreign to this world it seems. We do everything we can to be comfortable, to get what we want. Sure, we do good things, but we try not to inconvenience ourselves too much. I do this without even thinking about it sometimes. I want what will make me "feel" good...and I want it now!! But this is not God's way. His way is laying down our rights. Serving. Turning the other cheek. Not always getting what we think we deserve.

When I am alone with 3 little boys all day long, it can be so tempting to think about what I deserve. If only they would understand the sacrifices I make for them...making their food appear in front of them at just the right times, cleaning up after them constantly, reading that favorite book for the hundredth time...and on and on. And oh, I am tired. I've been tired for over 5 years! Don't I deserve a nap, or more quiet time, or more time to click away on the internet? The thing is this kind of thinking is a total trap for me. It is lies from the devil that only can lead to resentful feelings and a heart that is parched and dry. It leads to unhappy children that think they've done something to make mommy discontent.

But alas, I am learning. Praise God that he is gracious and patiently teaching me in this mothering journey. He has gifted so many who I am blessed to have walk beside me and encourage growth, even sometimes in just reading a wonderful book like this one.

Jesus came to this earth with full rights as a King, yet he chose to lay down those rights to serve. He chose to serve because of His great love for us. And like him, I am called to give up my rights and what I may feel I deserve simply out of my great love for Him. I don't want to look at my days and wish I had more time to myself. These little beings are only going to need me like this for a short time. There are no wasted moments. God is using them to refine me just as much as he's using me to train them. Each day, with it's PB&Js and messes and whatever else, is God's perfect will for my life yielded to him.


"Serving with joy in the midst of our messes and difficulty can only be done when we walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. When we see each minute with our children as an opportunity to worship God through our service of Him, our children sense our joy and feel secure and happy." ~Sally Clarkson

We have decided to keep all our boys home this year...I guess you could call it "homeschooling," though we haven't really labeled it that yet. I am trying to teach them some stuff ;) We are in a transition time. Searching and seeking the Lord's will for our family and each individual child. But for now, you can call me crazy. Baby on the way + ages 2, 3, & 5...all boys...all at home. Yeah, I pretty much could walk around with a sticker saying, "yes, my hands are full!" in reply to all the comments I get about it. But ironically, though there are definite moments of craziness, this is undoubtedly what the Lord has called us to for right now. The kids are thriving (most days) and our family life feels content. I really think it's through this process of laying down my rights that I have learned so much about what it really means to serve the Lord. It's just not always easy, and it's not even always what we would choose or picture for our life. But if He calls us to it, He equips us to do it. And there is so much blessing in that.

So, may I serve with joy, may you serve with joy. Each to where and to what we are called...

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise sometimes that it overwhelms and humbles me! So proud of your commitment to be who God has called you to be.......mommy, nurturer, healer, teacher. Live well, laugh often with these sweet boys for you are so right in that the days are fleeting and this time will pass all too quickly!
    Love you so much, mom

    ReplyDelete